Friday 11 March 2016

Orphans, thimbles and uglies

This solid silver thimble is unblemished. It came into my possession from a house clearance. I was told it was worth £25 so paid it on the spot as it is a perfect fit.
The modern S, M, L, sizes don't fit me properly.  
As  a girl needs more than one thimble, I started looking on Ebay for antique thimbles in a 16 or 17 size. 

I bought two plain thimbles in sterling silver very cheaply. 

If I had cash to spare I could really get into collecting these, but of course only in the sizes that actually fitted!

***
This small quilt is now finished for Linus, about 45" square
***

I finished this flimsy that will go to a small local charity

 whilst watching Bonnie on archived Quiltcam
 ***
I cut borders and binding for the next big quilt I will be working on

 I also chopped this UGLY (what was I thinking!) for binding and some mini broken dishes blocks (cut it small says Bonnie).
 This ugly will be used as a border on a charity quilt at some point.
***

The trimmings from the binding were made into mini broken dishes blocks immediately in an effort to control the crumbs.

 I trimmed them to size guided by the neutrals cut with the easy angle. Looks like you can't cut that reindeer fabric small enough!
 ***
I found two old spiderweb trials-I tried sewing to old sheeting but the result was too thick for a quilt, even if the look was good.
 I put a border on one, cut some heavy duty fabric for a back, and turned it into a cushion cover.
 Antique buttons on the back, and the raw edge of the fabric turned out for interest on the button flap.

 In this trial I didn't like the blocks completely random, The flimsy I made has sections in colour family, this has been a UFO for about 4 years!


I have been working on the rainbow hexie in the evenings. 

Linking for Scraptatsic Tuesday